A person wishing to renounce of Bosnia and Herzegovina citizenship must submitt a Statement of Renunciation of Citizenship in person or by an authorized legal representative in such form as prescribed by the Ministry of Civil Affairs of Bosnia and Herzegovina or by the Embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Diplomatic & Consular Representation – DCR).
Applicants must also submit the following documents in addition to the Statement of Renunciation of Citizenship:
- Evidence that the citizenship of another state has been acquired (Certificate of citizenship) or has been guaranteed (Guaranty);
- Registration of residence abroad;
These documents must be translated in one of the official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina by an authorized translator in Bosnia and Herzegovina or abroad and certified by a competent Authority. An authorization given abroad has to be certified by the DCR or Public Notary.
3. Certificate from the Civil Registration of Births of BiH- Birth certificate;
4. Certificate of BiH’s citizenship;
5. Marriage certificate (for married applicants);
These documents must not be older than six (6) months;
6. Divorce certificate (for divorced applicants);
7. Copy of BiH passport (page with photo) certified by a competent DCR or Public Notary or a competent Authority in Bosnia and Herzegovina, or Certificate of not having passport;
8. Valid Identification Card issued in Bosnia and Herzegovina or Certificate of not having Identification Card;
9. Receipt for payment of 200 KM for applicants acquiring citizenship of countries created from the former Yugoslavia. For applicants acquiring citizenship of other countries administrative tax is 800 KM for each application.
In a procedure for renunciation of BiH citizenship concerning minor children along with a Statement of Renunciation of Citizenship it is necessary to submit a Statement of Consent for Renunciation of Citizenship by both parents. If the child is over 14 years of age, his or her Statement is required.
These statements are to be submitted and signed before a competent Authority as listed paragraph 1 or certified statements are to be submitted along with the Request for Renunciation of Citizenship.
If the other parent is a foreigner it is necessary to submit her/his Certificate of Citizenship. If the other parent is dead it is necessary to submit her/his Certificate of Death.
- All persons wishing to renounce Bosnia and Herzegovina citizenship must have their Individual Personal Identification Number (JMB) assigned to them.
- All the individuals who have changed their surname (upon marriage or in other way) must have the new surname written in their Certificate of Birth and Certificate of Citizenship.
- Application for Renunciation of Citizenship presented to the DCR must have the list of all submitted documentation enclosed.
- Identification Card (not a copy of the ID) or a Certificate of not having an ID must be provided by the DCR along with the Application for Renunciation of Citizenship and a related note icluded in the documentation.